The Mathematics Program provides students with access to important mathematical ideas, knowledge and skills that they will draw on in their personal and work lives.
Our teaching of Mathematics demonstrates an understanding that all children are diverse and on their own learning journey. The use of student data ensures that the Mathematics program is tailored to meet every student's specific needs.
At St. Martin of Tours our math lessons include:
- A short warm-ups or tools sessions that focus on number and the many ways that it can be represented
- Whole class/small group/ individual activities that include concrete materials, for example dice, unifix cubes, cards etc.
- Exposure and continued use of the language that is used in relation to a mathematical concept.
- Consolidation of understanding through open-ended tasks that pose real-life situations – this allows children to work at their own level and investigate problems they can relate to
- Use of digital technologies to complement the Victorian Curriculum.
Mathematics at St. Martin of Tours follows the three inter-related dimensions of the Victorian Curriculum;
- Number and Algebra
- Measurement and Geometry
- Statistics and probability.
Mathematics is brought to life in our STEM program and in our Digital Technology program through ‘coding’.
St. Martin of Tours Mathematics leaders collaborate with teachers to create data-driven lessons as well as provide professional development to ensure St. Martin of Tours is using current best practice.
At St Martin of Tours we aim to foster a positive attitude and growth mindset toward mathematics. Empowering our students with the belief we are all capable of learning and improving our mathematical understanding.
Remember Maths is fun and with us everyday!